Saturday, December 19, 2009

Music Obsession: Lost in the Trees


Lost in the Trees is a lot like what you'd get if you combined a Danny Elfman soundtrack with an indie-folk group (and vocals that sound much like Death Cab for Cutie). According to their Facebook fan page, they're "classical folk". Whatever the label, the result is unique and beautiful music to listen to.

Leader Ari Picker provides the vocals in addition to composing the music. The other twelve members of the band supply a full orchestra. They remind me of Chicago, famous for combining rock with incredibly large trumpet sections. It's the same idea, only the soft sounds of folk are precluded by orchestral accompaniment. I started listening to their music in the fall, and their songs are perfect for colder days. Pensive "Walk Around the Lake" is definitely one of my favorite of their songs, as well as "Lost in the Snow" , and "Fireplace" (all of which come off of their newest album, "All Alone in an Empty House"). Their songs manage to be thoughtful, dramatic, and calming all at once.

It was the band's originality and creativity that ultimately captured my attention. Unlike much of the music I have recently come across, I don't feel like I've heard this one before (plus, I'm a sucker for violins and quiet singing). With the endless sea of indie bands out there, this one really stands out.

You can check out their music on Last.fm and purchase it on iTunes or Amazon. And be sure to check out their website.

photocredit: Last.fm

1 comment:

  1. I am poor slumdog in India. Yet still I find time to Amazon and iTunes this band. They excellent. Really make me wish I make more rupees for to be buying them. Very expensive. Namaste.

    ReplyDelete