Friday, July 10, 2009

In TV: Green Wing Makes Hospitals Look Insanely Fun



I was recently introduced to a fantastic show called "Green Wing" (which you can view 
here on Hulu),  a British creation that ran from 2004 to 2006. Think "Scrubs" but with raunchier and, obviously, more British humor.

The series features doctors as well as administrators doing hilariously insane things. An ongoing "romance" between Alan (a radiologist) and Joanna (head of human resources), is among one of the funniest aspects of the show. While Alan struggles to win Joanna's affections, all she wants from him is an office romp. Other funny characters on the show include Guy (the hospital's jerk) and the insane Sue White (who is hired to listen to complaints of employees, but instead verbally abuses them).

One of the show's memorable lines occurs when Alan is taken to a restaurant by his colleague: "Joanna brought me here once... to discuss hospital employment policy. Surreptitiously however, I was bringing her to climax with a breadstick." In another banter, Alan says to Dr. Macartney "Most females find body piercing repugnant. Luckily, I am still intact". Dr. Macartney responds, "Yes, even I draw the line at piercing arseholes." 

Most of the show's humor revolves around sex and other awkward situations, and the straight delivery of such lines had me laughing hysterically.

I have started on the first season, which so far is great. I've read that it begins to go downhill during the second season, though I can't attest to that just yet. As of now just season one is on Hulu. So if you're bored this summer and looking for a quick laugh, Green Wing fits the bill.

No comments:

Post a Comment