Saturday, July 4, 2009

Music Obsession of the Week: The Comas



The Comas, a band whose songs have been looping through my head the past week, can probably be best characterized as indie pop-rock. But it was the band's wide range of influences and sounds that caught my attention. Some of their songs are reminiscent of  '80s grunge, others are ambient, and some fit comfortably into the group of modern indies (of Montreal, the Shins, etc.). I also think the combination of a male vocalist (Matt Sumrow) with a female vocalist (Nicole Gehweiler) works well for the Comas and helps set them apart from other bands of their genre.

I've started on their 2007 album, Spells, and have been working my way back. Some of my favorites on the Spells album include "Red Microphones"and "Come My Sunshine"  which are both upbeat and catchy. Their 2004 album, Conductor, combines tranquil, more dream-like songs (listen to previews of songs like "Science of Your Mind" and "Moonrainbow" here) with edgier ones such as "Employment" (also featured on Amazon). 

Check them out on lastfm or their website.

No comments:

Post a Comment